Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hey Ibrance, stop messing with my neutrophils!

Six months ago, I had never heard of a neutrophil. In fact I had to Google everything on the blood test results. Though generally familiar with the role of the immune system in health, the specific makeup was a mystery. 

Not any more!  Now I eat and breath the numbers. First the CA 27-29 tumor marker numbers. Now the addition of the blessed neutrophils. 

A neutrophil is a type of white blood cell. White blood cells help the body fight off diseases and infections. Neutrophils are essential in this regard as they remove and destroy bacteria, wastes, foreign substances and other bad guys. They accomplish this by eating these substances. They're kind of like the pac man of blood cells. 

A side effect of the Ibrance drug (see related post for more on this bad boy), is that it tends to wreak havoc on the pac man infection fighters. Ibrance is designed to inhibit the function of a specific type of protein, CDK 4/6, that scientists believe plays a role in the proliferation of cancer cells. But here's the problem. In addition to inhibiting CDKs, it appears Ibrance also inhibits blood cell production.

As part of the Ibrance protocol, I have my blood tested every other week, sometimes every week to make sure white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets are all at safe levels. I'm on my fourth round of ibrance and each time have had to take an extra week or two for my neutrophils to build back up. Each time the counts seem to get lower and lower.

At last count, my Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) was barely 300. That's extremely low. Normal ANC is between 1500 and 6500. Before I started Ibrance, my ANC was in the 2500-3500 range. 

The low ANC puts me in extreme danger of getting bacterial and fungal infections. Trust me, I didn't need to read about this, I lived it. I've been struggling with every type of infection imaginable, even though I'm religious about immune boosting diets and supplements. 

So, I'm off the Ibrance for awhile to not only get my counts back up, but also to clear out my body of these nasty toxins. Kind of a chicken and egg sort of thing. I need the neutrophils to eat the bacteria and toxins, but need to get rid of the bacteria and toxins to get the neutrophils back and the immune system working effectively. 

I'll go over my detox and immune system boosting protocol in my next post. Till next time. Peace out. 


1 comment:

  1. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 47 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete